How to access the archives
If you would like to see a sample of Hans’s analysis of the sexual symbols in a poem, we suggest you open #520, I started early, took my dog. Readers will note the detailed and explicit accounts of the act of intercourse in Hans’s commentary. This should not come as a surprise to those familiar with the Dickinson family story. Mabel Loomis Todd kept a daily journal in which she recorded in symbols her menstrual cycles and the times and locations of her intercourse with Austin, Emily’s brother (see Polly Longsworth, Austin and Mabel: The Amherst Affair and Love Letters of Austin Dickinson and Mabel Loomis Todd, New York: Farrar, Straus, Giroux, 1984). There is much we do not know about nineteenth century mores and practices and the habit of keeping secret records. Dickinson was not known to have kept a diary, though her sister Lavinia did. If Hans is right, Dickinson’s poetry served also as her secret diary.
#640, I cannot live with you is another poem which provided Hans with an excellent opportunity to demonstrate in detail how Emily developed her secret language
Free access is available for the first twenty poems in the Archives to give prospective users a sense of the range of Hans’s methodology and system.
The archives of Hans Lüscher’s materials are divided into three separate sections. “Poems” includes the list of all 1173 poems analyzed by Hans. In the “Symbols” section, free access is provided to all the definitions and a listing of poems in which the symbol appears. The “Categories” section provides the listing of the poems tentatively included in that category.
How To Register And Obtain a License
Any interested user will have free access to 20 selected poems, their translation and their interpretation by Hans W. Luescher.
By registering and purchasing a license users will have unlimited access to all poems, translations and interpretations and will be able to post their own essays and commentaries to exchange their views and ideas with other participants.
Individual Users will pay US$ 8.00 for a yearly subscription.
Universities, colleges and similar organizations may purchase a multiuser-license for a yearly fee of UA$ 350.00 in return for a general access key for an unlimited number of their users.
How to register and make payment:
- Click here and fill in the Registration Form provided
- Press “Register”
- Await confirmation of registration by email
- Important: click on the confirmation link provided in this mail (Should you not receive a confirmation within five minutes – please check your junk mail)
- Choose the appropriate license
- To effect your payment through PayPal follow their instructions, depending on whether or not you are already a registered user. Payment by Credit Card is also possible through PayPal.
- As soon as your payment has been received your access will be liberated
- The entire database is now at your disposal. Have fun
- As soon as your payment has been received you will be given a multiuser – code. This code can be found under your profile page (just click your name). Forward it to your designated future users and ask them to activate the code by clicking on “Activate it!”
- The entire database is now at the disposal of all your users. Have fun